Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great? (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?)

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 11:51:55 EEST

On Tue, 2005-14-06 at 10:50 +0200, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> >I must admit, I had to double-check that I really am reading the
> >year-2005 folder of linux-audio-dev, and not some old mails from the
> >archives. ;) Now that SuSE, Mandrake, Fedora and others have started
> >to use dmix as the default output plugin, basic desktop sound stuff
> >should finally start to work, as people expect, out of the box.
>
> i mean, we should take this jwz thing as a call for jihad against
> non-working audio, including the perception of non-working audio, and
> such a jihad may be best served by those examples of no-problem
> systems coming forward and being demo'ed.

I think we should take it for what it is: a whiney rant from someone
who is famous for whining about anything and everything.

Why should we care what jwz thinks? Let him publicly cry and run to OSX
- see if I care.

Addressing the concerns of people looking for help on this list is a
million times more important than some nonsense PR campaign to counter
the rant of a whiney dotcom washout that happened to get slashdotted.

-DR-