Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 21:37:20 EEST

> > That's not a problem, that's the usual evolution as seen
> > may times in the free software world.
>
> i disagree. i think it *is* a problem. its not a problem
> for people willing and able to grapple with the
> implications of this "evolution" (like myself and
> yourself). but its a huge issue to people who just want it
> to work "the way it does on OS X" or even "the way it does
> on windows".

I'm glad that even people who are that deeply involved in
system development as you are can have such thoughts.

I also hope that a linux audio system will be easier to handle
some day. I'd like to add:

* I dislike the comparison "Should work as smooth as on
Mac/Win". I really hope it will soon work _better_ as on any
known system.

* Am I willing to spend nights configuring my system? No, I'm
not :) . I'd also prefer a system which works out of the box.
But as I have chosen that I prefer using free software
(because I feel free and do not want to depend on any
company), I save some money and pay for it in terms of
spending time in learning system details, helping to make the
system better and helping others where I can.

I think we all know about the weak points of the linux audio
system. But as the communities resources are limited, we'll
still need some time to get to the point where everything is
working just out of the box.

Best regards

    ce