Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great? (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?)

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 14:48:31 EEST

On Wed, 2005-15-06 at 10:36 +0000, ix@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:50:11AM +0200, Lars Luthman wrote:
> > >
> > > Skype is closed source and the mplayer developers are a pain in the ass
> > > to deal with due to blatant pro-OSS (as in /dev/dsp) bias. If it were
> > > easy these would have been fixed long ago.
> >
> > Mplayer already has support for a lot of different audio interfaces
> > (including ALSA and JACK). I don't know how good or stable it is, but
> > I've never had any problems using them.
>
> never worked right here, end up using the arts backend (and jack backend for arts...
> and alsa backend for jack...). how many chained APIs does one need?

Well, if Alsa went the CoreAudio direction and did a proper
callback-based audio API ala Jack, and did s/w mixing automagically, we
wouldn't need all this mess.

Unfortunately, the Alsa people didn't seem to think replacing OSS was a
good opportunity to improve anything, so here we are... let's hear it
for 1995.

-DR-