Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great? (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?)

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 19:58:18 EEST

Hallo,
Alfons Adriaensen hat gesagt: // Alfons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 12:48:11PM +0100, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> > GNOME & KDE are complete development platforms, so they need to support
> > the development of audio applications.
>
> 1. You don't need GNOME or KDE support to develop audio applications any
> more than you need their support for accessing files, the network, the
> display or whatever. So they should remain neutral on this matter.
>
> 2. Any application that can run only under a particular window manager
> or that depends on facilities from a particular desktop is IMHO just
> broken.

... like Ardour, which requires Jack instead of working with Arts or
Esound.

I think, that you're a bit unfair in regard to desktop environments.
What about the role, sound can play in the accessibility of desktops,
by giving acoustic feedback? We "pro audio guys" hate these bells and
chimes, but to other users they can be important, and somehow you need
some way to send these sounds from a Gonme/KDE app using Gnome/KDE
libs to the soundcard, preferably in a simple, consistent way for
application developers.

Or go the other way around: Speech recognition. The users talks,
X-Wordoffice writes it down. This is not that uncommon anymore in the
Win/Mac world, and it also requires the application developer to deal
with sound input *and* you need to get it into the desktop's document
layer. Preferably Gnome/KDE make it easy to get to this sound with
their own libraries.

Sound plays a major role on desktop machines, and Novell/Suse surely
is not sponsoring ALSA for us musicians, they want to get sound
on desktops.

The best of course would be a solution, which works accross all
desktops and non-desktops. But this would require all applications to
be "broken" in the regard, that all these apps should support at least
this solution.

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "scans" _ http://footils.org/cms/show/41