[linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Sat Jun 18 2005 - 03:34:46 EEST

> I think we should (and can) keep the desktop and 'pro'
> worlds separate.

I do not agree :) . We're in the free software world, so
there's no need to tell the non-pro-audio-users "use anything
else".

> And if they have to be integrated, the
> solution will be JACK.

Agreed.

> Writing a JACKified app is not
> harder (rather the contrary) than for any other API I know.
> There could be some libs on top of JACK to make the common
> things such as bells and chimes even simpler
> {jack_play("boing.wav");}. The only condition is that jackd
> should be 100% reliable and monkey-proof, but I think it's
> already quite close to that target.

I think so too. We "simply" need some attention from the
desktop guys so they start doing the last work to rech the
target.

> I remember that when I started using Linux (SL 8.1) JACK
> was quite a hairy thing to have on you system, and a few
> months later at the first LAC, there were lots of "killall
> jackd" all the time. And now ? When my desktop comes up
> qjackctl starts running, and it stays there for as long as
> the system is up.

The same for me. Works great.

Best regards

    ce