Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: multi-client hell

From: Jussi Laako <jussi.laako@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 19 2005 - 02:25:20 EEST

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 17:33 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

> First, why in the hell are you using gstreamer with OSS emulation? It
> has an ALSA backend.

It also has JACK plugin.

I've long wanted to add samplerate conversion to jack, but haven't made
my mind on how it should be implemented.

I would like to see all, mplayer/arts/esd/gstreamer/helix/etc.. to use
jack as an audio interface. Currently the situation is too complex and
implementing alsa/oss/whatever interface to every application is also
too complex. There are too many variations on how these things are
handled. For example not all clients allow me to use /dev/dsp9 as audio
device as I would like. Then there are still conflicts on number of
applications using the same audio devices.. And then all the
sampleformat, etc. issues.

Jack would fix most of these in lowlatency way suitable for number of
different applications from gaming to music producing.

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako@email-addr-hidden>