Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Sun Jun 19 2005 - 15:29:33 EEST

> Why not use only ALSA API. There is alsa to jack plugin. If
> someone wants use jack it can be used to route audio to
> jack. Also there are alsa <-> OSS driver plugins. This
> means you can output sound from alsa app to oss driver or
> capture from alsa driver without any source change.

As soon as the card cannot do hardwaremixing, it is blocked
for all other applications. So I personally think it is a bad
design if a single application wants to access the ALSA
device directly and exclusively.

As for the soundservers: If a soundserver grabs the ALSA
device it is blocked. Therefore (in an optimal world) the
soundserver should be the central instance for any audio
application.

Big prob: There still isn't the one and only central
soundserver instance, but havin one would be wonderful in
terms of usability and audio straighforwardness.

Best regards

    ce