Re: [linux-audio-dev] What parts of Linux audio simply suck ? - ALSA

From: Juan Linietsky <coding@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 19:26:06 EEST

Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>-Module configuration parameters. WHY ON EARTH do I have to specify the
>>IO port for mpu401, joystick, etc as driver options when loading the
>>modules for my soundcard, else doesnt work? What year are we on?! I cant
>>believe that this resource allocation is not handled by ALSA or the
>>linux kernel!
>>

>They are very old system, indeed. (Remember they have been called
>"legacy" devices even 5 years ago.)
>They have neither PnP nor automatic resource allocation mechanism.
>The only way is trial-and-error. We disable them per default just
>because it's safer for the system (the resource confliction may lock
>up your system silently). It's a usual question whether convenience
>or safety.

I'd like to clarify more on this. I'm not talking about deprecated old
ISA devices
(like one of those huge soundblaster 16 cards), not even isapnp but PCI
devices
which are being sold nowadays, or integrated into mainboards, more
specifically,
I dont understand why things like this exist:

red@email-addr-hidden:~$ /sbin/modinfo -p snd-cmipci
[ .. omitted non relevant options .. ]
mpu_port:MPU-401 port.
fm_port:FM port.
joystick_port:Joystick port address.

red@email-addr-hidden:~$ /sbin/modinfo -p snd-via82xx
[ .. omitted non relevant options .. ]
mpu_port:MPU-401 port. (VT82C686x only)

red@email-addr-hidden:~$ /sbin/modinfo -p snd-ens1371
[ .. omitted non relevant options .. ]
joystick_port:Joystick port address.

Amongst many.

These options exists in the soundchips for compatibility with old sound
blaster card in MS-DOS,
or win9x (which lets you access to ports directly). You can supply
basically any of the allowed
port values and they will work. They are legacy I guess, but it is still
the only way that you can
access to joystick/mpu401/opl3 in nowadays cheap soundcards.
So, my main question is *why* isnt this autodetected by the
driver/kernel by default? In my personal
experience (and the alsa docs) these wont work until you supply some
random port. I find this
extremely user-unfriendly, because most sound users may not even know
what a port is, much less
that they have to do it. I mean, if isapnp does this kind of resource
allocation, why it cant be done for this too?

Thanks for your reply!

Juan