Re: [linux-audio-dev] FM, Phase Modulation and The Wiki

From: Simon Jenkins <sjenkins@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 23:13:00 EEST

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 15:18 +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 14:14 +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
>
> > I am currently looking [in wikipedia] at the Casio section near the end (regarding
> > phase distortion.) Wasn't this technique developed way back in the 60's
> > by french academics?
>
> Let me refrase that to:
>
> I am almost certain that this technique was developed at the "french
> national institute of electronic music" (or some such?)
>
> Question:
> What is the actual name of that institute, and can anybody cunning in
> french help me search in their wayback archives?
>
> /ja

Its unlikely that this was invented at IRCAM in the 1960's:

http://www.ircam.fr/62.html?&L=1

I rest my case.

Phase distortion gets its own short section in Curtis Roads' "the
computer music tutorial" where it is again attributed to the Casio
corporation. Phase /modulation/ OTOH, gets just a very brief mention as
a variant of frequency modulation.

It seems the difference is that PD works on individual cycles of the
modulated waveform. The wiki author guesses that there may be an extra
synching oscillator but in fact...

"The scanning interval speeds up from 0 to [pi] and then slows down from
[pi] to 2 [pi]. The overall frequency is constant, according to the
pitch of the note, but the output waveform is no longer a sine".

...somebody just did the math(s).

Cheers

Simon