Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi/OSC help - Continuous controllers

From: Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 18:00:24 EEST

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 02:57:51PM +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:

> I recognize that MVC is very useful to big applications, but it's
> not so important for small ones IMHO.

That's exactly the idea I want to warn you for. One of the cases
where I tried to make the GUI the 'center of control' and ended
up with a complete mess was for Aeolus. In terms of MIDI control
this is probably much simpler than what you want to do for JackBeat.

Simplicity can be misleading. You need virtually nothing to
get race conditions where for example the values shown in the
GUI, the controller, and the actual one used by the audio code
get out of sync.

Another problem I found is that when you deviate from the strict
MVC model, you're likely to duplicate logic, and end up with
parallel state machines. I don't wish that to my worst enemies.

> We misunderstood. I did not mean to be cynical or the like.

No harm done :-)

--
FA