Re: [linux-audio-dev] desktop audio resumed

From: Jan Holst Jensen <jhje00@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 10:03:22 EEST

--- Maarten De Boer <mdeboer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > So all the advice needed is "make sure you use the
> > latest ALSA".
>
> That, and:
>
> - make sure no applications use "hw:0,0" instead of
> "default"
> - if you use oss applications, make sure you use
> libaoss (or am I wrong
> here? does alsa pcm emulation use "default" as
> well?)
> - if you use jack, either accept jack through dmix,
> or make sure you
> _always_ run jack, and use tell all applications
> that can to use jack,
> and redefine the "default" device to be the "jack"
> plugin for the other
> applications.

Hi Maarten.

Thanks for bringing this up. The number of competing
sound standards on Linux makes for a very frustrating
time when you are a sound-newbie, so your efforts in
putting together a document with best-practice
recommendations to make stuff "simply-work" is very
much appreciated.

> Still, the amount of (unnecesary, in the light of
> dmix) sound daemons,
> remains a problem. Even though the dmix default

I couldn't agree more. The confusion that arises when
running different Window Managers is terrible - or
"Why can't I play sound now that KDE started ? It
worked from the console.". Why every Window Manager
has had to run its own sound daemon has always been
beyond me.

> the thread, the sound
> daemons will automagically cease to exist once
> developpers realize there
> is no need for them. But it would be good to speed
> up the process.

YES to that :-).

Cheers
-- Jan Holst Jensen, Denmark