[linux-audio-dev] Re: desktop audio resumed

From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 03:32:56 EEST

Lee Revell:
>> It was in response to problems such as these that I began work on a
>> half-kernel, half-userspace system for emulating OSS devices. It's been
>> a while since I've done anything with it but if there's any interest in
>> such a system I could put my code (such as it is) up for download.
>
> No!!! That's exactly the wrong approach, it will only encourage
> applications to use the OSS API. Do you really still want to be using
> the same ancient binary-only flashplayer/realplayer plugin for 5 more
> years?
>
> Why don't you ask the Skype developers when they plan to support ALSA?
> Or figure out why it crashes with aoss?

I strongly disagree with you about this. Ross approach sounds like whats
needed. The OSS API is easier to understand and leads to less bugs and
less programming time. For programs like SKYPE, mediaplayers and other
types of non-realtime-sound applications, I really think programmers
should go for OSS instead of accessing ALSA directly.
And, as mentioned before, ALSA is linux only (except for alsa 0.5 which
was partly used in older versions QNX I think).