Re: [linux-audio-dev] best LL kernel options with ingo molnar's patch

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 00:21:55 EEST

> Hm, I am currently trying PREEMPT_DESKTOP.
> I got the impression _RT would be a bit of overkill for
> audio work.

AFAIK PREEMPT_DESKTOP was introduced early in the 2.6 series.
If it was enough, we didn't discuss about low latency
anymore, but we do ;-) .

For audio work, a latency of more than zero milliseconds is
still too much.

I really hope to get a latency of about 4msecs. Currently, my
USB card runs at 16msecs and you can feel that. Play a
softsynth percussively...

> > Unfortunately, I also try to get decent audio on my
> > 2.6.12 machine but it seems to be tricky.
> >
> > After enabling the above option and kernel installation,
> > you need to patch PAM and configure it accordingly or you
> > need to try set-rtlimits.
>
> Is this documented somewhere?

ret_rtlimits is well documented by a README and a manpage.

Best regards

    ce