Re: [linux-audio-dev] desktop audio resumed

From: Damon Chaplin <damon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 14:21:57 EEST

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 16:59 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

> So in your GNOME app you call gnome_play_sound(&filehandle) and the
> Gnome middle layer snd_pcm_write()s it on an ALSA system, write()s
> to /dev/dsp on an OSS system, and delivers it to the DirectSound or
> whatever on Windows, depending on the system it was compiled for.
>
> There's absolutely no need for the sound server, it's just bloat.

What about in a networked/thin client environment? The application will
be on another machine from the audio interface.

Or how about supporting OSes that don't have any support for mixing
themselves, or only allow one process to use the audio interface.

Do we need an audio server to handle these cases?

Damon