Re: [linux-audio-dev] maximum ports -problem

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 16:09:28 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:

> back of the envelope maths:
>
> soundcard ports are always assigned,
> even if theres nothing connected: 22
> hydrogen, 32*2: 64
> ardour uses something like 4 per mono track,
> plus 2 more? 34
>
> so thats getting to 120ish, so you could easily have run out.

Even if I am not using them all? I calculate I had maybe 12 - 15
actually allocated ( will try to verify this tonight when I am back in
the studio )

>>After I restarted jackd (and not making any changes in qjackctl),
>>Hydrogen refused to start (it would segfault on startup, but if I
>>started Hydrogen without jackd it would startup fine), and when I
>>reopened the same session in Ardour, the entire screen would freeze
>>(except the mouse).
>

> Thats not good, and I dont know why its doing tht offhand, it could be
> because theres some stale files or pipes in your jack tmp directory?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, or perhaps a zombied process

> strace-ing or gdb-ing hydrogen might give a clue.

I stared working at that but had to give up the hunt as it was very late
and I needed sleep. :-)

-- Brett
Programmer by day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.chapelperilous.net