[linux-audio-dev] Re: TAP Plugins cause distortion

From: Tom Szilagyi <tszilagyi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 17:07:11 EEST

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:03:16 -0500, Benjamin Racher
<bracher@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Have any of you noticed that the TAP EQ plugin can cause distortion
> during playback? If I eq too low or too high, I get an awful digital
> distortion that maxes out the whole track in ardour. Am I configuring
> something wrong, or is this a documented problem?

There is an issue with some pre-packaged distro builds of TAP-plugins,
mainly Debian, but a lot of debian-based distros might be using the
same deb. Try to build the plugins from source (use the latest version
downloaded from http://tap-plugins.sf.net), and make sure you are indeed
using that build (uninstall the distro-package first).

AFAIK the problem occurs with all the TAP plugins, not just the EQ, you
might want to confirm/deny that.

"Normal" clipping/distortion when a hot signal is EQ'd all the way up will
surely occur, but we're talking about a completely different phenomenon.
Setting the EQ "too low" should not cause any kind of distortion, ever.

If this doesn't help, I definitely want to hear from you.

Tom