Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] E-Radium V0.61b

From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 17 2005 - 02:09:48 EEST

Martin Habets:

> Plus not all machines have a physical RTC chip.
> If you want periodic interrupt emulation on those you need a patch [1],
> but that just generates a software interrupt. That would suffer from a
> change in HZ value AFAIK.

When having a server, you don't have to use /dev/rtc if its not there.
For me, having a timer-daemon, and a shared library communicating
with it, seems like the obvious (and very simple) solution for the
timer problem.

A daemon is easy to set up, and should provide the best possible timing
for the given kernel and hardware. So I really wonder, is there something
obvious I don't see? Why isn't there such a daemon? In case
its just that noone haven't bothered implementing it, I will when
I find a free day.