Re: [linux-audio-dev] please help: enumerating library requirements

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd-lad@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Sat Jul 23 2005 - 12:08:49 EEST

Lars Luthman wrote:

> Couldn't someone in a country without software patents code an MP3 write
> module that could be distributed as a patch

That would never work; the libsndfile internals change often
enough to make this impossible.

> or separate version of libsndfile?

Sure, anyone who wants to could do it.

> Although the only reason I can think of for writing MP3s is to export
> files to old hardware audio players that don't support Vorbis.

Exactly. And anyone on this situation can just use the LAME encoder.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"Therapists typically base the nuttiness of a patient on the
strength of their convictions, on which basis this 43,000 word
opus alone stands as a kind of testament to Bill's (Gates)
madness." - The Register