Re: [linux-audio-dev] Libs for reading/writing midis

From: Mario Lang <mlang@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 12:16:22 EEST

Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:52:44 +0200
> Mario Lang <mlang@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> Reusability of code is a quite valid point, and I thought the OP's
>> question was quite interesting.
>>
>> We shouldn't define ourselves in terms of what windows does. Frankly, I don't
>> care anymore, its now 8 years since I switched to Linux completely.
>>
>> libmidifile would be cute, is any of the existing codebases flexible
>> enough so that it could be massaged into a nice lib?
>
> vote++ to everything you said. dunno about any existing midi code though
> flexible enough to be put into a lib.. After taking a glance at
> rosegarden and muse's source it seems there's always app specifics
> intertwined.

Sure, *because* there wasn't a standard midifile library around in the first
place, they all hacked it into the program directly, therefore it is
intertwined :-).

> Wasn't a midi file pretty much a simple dump of midi events anyways?

That is mostly true for type 0 files, but type 1 (and especially 2) is
a bit more involved. And of course, there are the SMF meta events.

--
CYa,
  Mario