Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA MIDI logger? (Was: Radio Scanner Recorder)

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 29 2005 - 12:58:48 EEST

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 02:55 +0200, David Olofson wrote:
> On Saturday 27 August 2005 03.47, Guillaume Filion wrote:
> [...]
> > (...)that is not record when the sound is below a certain threshold.
> > This could easily be done with ecasound's -ge parameter.
> >
> > However, I started thinking and found that it would be better to
> > have a different file for each segment. For example, if there is
> > - 45 seconds of speech, followed by
> > - 3 minutes of silence, followed by
> > - 2 minutes of speech
> > I would get two files, one 45 seconds long and one 2 minutes long.
>
> Is there anything like this, but for MIDI, out there?
>
> I'd like something that runs in the background (I'd probably start it
> up automatically with the system), subscribing to any ALSA MIDI
> inputs that might be of interest, automatically recording all events,
> and saving each "burst of activity" as a separate .mid file.
>
> One would probably want to make sure that each .mid gets a header that
> restores the CC state at the time the recording started, and some
> comments about the ALSA sequencer routing and connected clients might
> come in handy sometimes. None of that is really required, though.
>
> This strikes me as something that should be relatively easy to do,
> though I'd rather not hack it from scratch if there's any reasonably
> nice code lying around somewhere.

For the SMF part, you probably already have arecordmidi installed on
your system. Ctrl-C (SIGQUIT) at end of file to terminate.

Perhaps modifying it slightly to treat start/stop commands as begin/end
of file would be useful. Your appliction would then be a midithru,
inserting midi-stop after a certain amount of inactivity and midi-start
when you start playing again.