Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA features.

From: James Courtier-Dutton <James@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 04 2005 - 00:00:27 EEST

Dan Mills wrote:

>>>db, as this is a gain change (which is unitless).
>>
>>It could also be calibrated, thus with unit.
>

> I don't think this is right, a signal **level** can be measured against a
> known reference level, and for metering it is important to know what this is,
> but a **gain** value is **always** unitless (You are multiplying a signal
> which has units by a scalar value).
>
> Consider that +6db gain is double the amplitude at a signal LEVEL of -60dbu,
> +40dbKW, or anything else, it is always double the amplitude (4* the power).
>
> Note that some gear has for example switchable 'gain' of -10dbV or +4dbu, what
> they actually mean is switchable reference level of....
>
> Controls which switch the nominal reference level should be marked in terms of
> what that reference IS, but general gain controls should be marked in just
> db.
>
> Meters should be referenced to some specified level (Ideally in terms of real
> world voltages where analogue outputs are concerned), in the case of digital
> outputs where the signal can only be referenced to full scale (whatever that
> means), it is important to document any offsets. For example common UK
> practice is to line up so that 0dbu = -20dbFS, now that is not your problem,
> but if you are implementing a (say) VU meter, please document how many db
> below 0dbFS your 0db mark is!
>
> (Sorry, Hot button issue atm having spent far too much time trying to sort out
> a problem with this stuff...).
>
> Regards, Dan.

As far as I can tell, all sound cards volume controls are based around gain.
+dB for gain, and -dB for attenuation.

Examples of sound card hardware datasheets:
Record Volume control:
"The range is 12dB to -33dB in steps of 1.5dB."

I was planning to use the unit "dB" in the volume controls.

You seem to mention "db" but I see "dB" everywhere in the datasheets.
Are "db" and "dB" the same. If not, can someone please explain the
difference, as "db" seems more important to people here.

James