Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA features.

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 04 2005 - 01:44:23 EEST

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 12:35 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an ALSA developer and I was wondering if there are any feature
> requests that people who use this list would have.
>
> I currently have a lot on my TODO list, but there is probably only one
> feature on that list that might help you and that is dB level readouts
> in alsamixer.
>
> Currently, alsamixer uses a 0-100% readout, and on some sound cards 100%
> is the 0dB level, and on others the 0dB level is around 80%.

Are you saying that some soundcards saturates at 0db (100%) where as
others leaves 12db headroom (having 0db == 80%)

If I had my way, I would prefer all souncards to be of the headroom
variety ... as a standard. You can always push volume up and beyond,
should need arise.

> This makes setting the capture levels rather difficult to get right in
> Ardour. Most people would want the alsamixer capture volume controls to
> all be set to 0dB and then let Ardour do any volume control.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Nothing special except for the obvious limiter upfront before you start
sampling.