Re: [linux-audio-dev] libcui - design-question

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 16:53:34 EEST

Hi!
  Yes there is ncurses. But with ncurses as is you can just position
characters on the screen, whereever you like and in which color you like. Yet
I want to design a library, that is useful for blind and possibly other
disabled people. This will incorporate predefined keys for movement, ALWAYS
AND ONLY moving the hard cursor, don't use color-attributes. Try to display
objects so they are useful on a braille-display. This library should come with
a good set of objects and init and fini (start and exit) routines. So
programmers have a standard library with objects they know. Yet in contrast to
just writing direct ncurses code: they don't have to know what is good for a
blind person and what is not.
  This library is intended to be used for applications, thatdon't already have
a textbased interface (synthesizers, sequencers...). Using this library
enables the user to get it "a bit more the GUI way". A sequencer (especially a
step-sequencer) is very easy to handle from such an interactive UI.
  This library can't do everything, that the real gui can do, but about most
of the main objects I have some definite ideas. That means buttons, sliders,
checkboxes, not canvas, window, panel.
  Kindest regards
      Julien

--------