Re: [linux-audio-dev] Setting the Beat of a Clock

From: fons adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 00:24:33 EEST

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 11:31:39PM +0300, Jussi Laako wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 19:22 +0200, fons adriaensen wrote:
> > (not extremely precise either), or some external timing reference,
> > e.g. a 1 Hz pulse from a GPS receiver, or a reference frequency.
>
> One way I've used is to feed more accurate reference clock to the word
> clock input of some pro sound card. Some reference clocks can be
> programmed to output some specific frequency.

For a 'pro' card that would do the trick, provided you *have* an accurate
clock generator. But pendulum clocks being big, heavy and difficult to move,
one would prefer to have this sort of app on a laptop. If you could find some
frequency reference that can be input as an audio signal on a second channel,
that would be ideal - no jitter to deal with. There are some cheap portable
clocks that sync to a broadcast time service. Maybe it's possible to extract
a usable signal from these.

--
FA