[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] External audio interface (edirol FA/UA-101)

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 16:47:40 EEST

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 17:32 +0400, Dmitry Baikov wrote:

> yes, its much better: vastly higher bandwidth, much faster bus
> clock.
>
> Theoretical(!) numbers are: FW-400 = 400MBits/s, USB2.0 = 480 MBits/s

thats not a very fair comparison. USB2.0 is the "new USB", FW800 is the
"new FW" :) but FW is also a better protocol, which means its easier to
get close the theoretical maximum than it is with USB.

> >From reading RME mailing lists, I know there were many problems with
> Ricoh controllers (on PCI bursts). And everybody recommends TI. But
> most notebooks to choose from have Ricoh controllers. Do you know if

i have ENE controllers in my two HP laptops, as do a couple of other
people on LAD. there *were* problems with these in the 2.4 kernel
series, but they were fixable from user-space *and* are gone in 2.6
(AFAICT).

if you were in the US, i could offer you the best prices on RME gear
(i'm a dealer), but with a european location, thats not likely.

--p