Re: [linux-audio-dev] Edirol FA-101

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 22 2005 - 17:57:41 EEST

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 23:27 +0400, Dmitry S. Baikov wrote:
>

>>>Are you using a customized jackd? What version? What command line? Do
>>>you have any evidence that anyone has ever made this work?
>>>

>>Opps, sorry for skipping obviously needed details. Was really upset.
>>I tried freebob + jackd from freebob.sf.net.
>>libavc from svn, libiec61883 1.0, libraw1394 1.2
>>cmdline: jackd -d iec61883 -o osc.udp://localhost:31000
>>
>>FreeBoB wiki's list of working setups contains FA-101 + gentoo (my distro).
>>When run in the first time, jackd starts, but there's no sound, and
>>seems processing callbacks aren't called (no interrupts?).
>>

>I think this would be a better question for the Freebob list, and cc:
>the jackit-devel list, as you're using a version of JACK that the
>Freebob people have customized. I've never heard anyone on LAD or LAU
>report that this works.

It is indeed a jackd version we customized in order to develop our
streaming layer. So you'd better not hassle the jackit-devel list with
problems regarding the freebob/iec61883 backend (yet). It is not
supported by them, direct any questions to the freebob-devel mailing list.

>First and foremost, we need to get the iec61883 driver into JACK CVS, so
>that Paul Davis and the other JACK experts can help you.

I think that still remains a topic of discussion... do we want another
(specific) backend or do we use the ALSA backend with the ALSA driver
that we're also developing.

At this point jackd is just a development tool, and the releases we make
are pre-alpha (0.0.1 versions indeed). Expect problems with them.

WRT the problem you experience: First of all read the README file and
make sure you have the EXACT versions of the required libraries
installed. There are some changes in library releases that are required
in order for freebob to work. OTOH there are some bugfixes in the newest
library versions that break the freebob software included in the
pre-alpha's. I suspect that you are still using an old libiec61883 version.

Greets,

Pieter Palmers
guilty @ freebob jackd backend mess