Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: applying RIAA curves in software

From: Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 22:18:48 EEST

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 14:35, Richard Smith wrote:
> I don't have a preamp at all.  Thats part of what led me to that page.
>  Recommendations?

Well, you're going to want *some* sort of preamp. One with
selectable/defeatable EQ curves would presumably be best.

This will also be dependent upon the age of the specific recordings being
transferred. Early on in the industry, each record company had their own
'proprietary' curve, and high-end players had the ability to select which
curve to use. That was why the RIAA eventually stepped in (late 40s?) and
developed a standard that all the companies could agree on.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development |
| | Salem Radio Labs |
| The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to |
| choose from. |
| -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum |