Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: applying RIAA curves in software

From: Richard Smith <smithbone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 22:36:28 EEST

On 10/25/05, Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 October 2005 14:35, Richard Smith wrote:
> > I don't have a preamp at all. Thats part of what led me to that page.
> > Recommendations?
>
> Well, you're going to want *some* sort of preamp. One with
> selectable/defeatable EQ curves would presumably be best.
>
> This will also be dependent upon the age of the specific recordings being
> transferred. Early on in the industry, each record company had their own
> 'proprietary' curve, and high-end players had the ability to select which
> curve to use. That was why the RIAA eventually stepped in (late 40s?) and
> developed a standard that all the companies could agree on.

That seems to be exactly what the tracertek page was saying. There is
no one "right" way to un-RIAA a record. So why not do it in software
where you can tweak with it.

I *know* I need a preamp. The question is just which one?

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I also have some 78's that mix and
not just 33's

--
Richard A. Smith