Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack_callback <-> rest of the world

From: Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 13:11:41 EET

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 11:56:59AM +0100, St?phane Letz wrote:

> >I must be missing something essential here. Access to named things
> >that have to be opened is normally by a file descriptor, and file
> >descriptors are bound a process. How then can you give *all* clients
> >access to the named pipe or sema created for a new client ?
>
> The synchronization primitive is actually created by the server when
> a new client register. Then a client identifier (built using the
> actual client name) is transfered to all running clients that will
> define/access the synchronization primitive in their own process.

But in order to define/access it in their own process, they have to open()
it, i.e. perfrom a call to the filesystem, or am I wrong here ?
This means that changing the graph order can never be a RT operation,
unless clients get a second, non-RT thread to perform this call from.

(or do it in their own non-RT user code, but that would be horrible).

--
FA