Re: [linux-audio-dev] Status of mLAN or similar?

From: Jody McIntyre <scjody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 21:51:14 EET

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 12:55:45PM -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> I am wondering what the status of the mLAN or something similar is in
> linux? I have been able to find some mention of talking with Yamaha
> about it, but past that I cant seem to find anything on it. I am
> looking for a solution to allow me to connect and stream audio in
> realtime over firewire to a Mac Mini to run some VSTs on until VST
> support in Linux is worked out completly. Thanks.

I'm working on mLAN support, but my main focus is on streaming audio
to/from hardware devices. It will be a while before what you're looking
for is supported. I don't even know if the OSX mLAN drivers support it
(though, in principle, the Linux PC could pretend to be an mLAN hardware
device...)

mLAN uses IEC 61883-6 for its streaming. You can find 61883-6 drivers
at http://mlanalsa.sourceforge.net/ and http://freebob.sourceforge.net/
but you'll have to do a lot more work to get things going. Neither of
these will do any of the connection management that is required.

Cheers,
Jody