Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mixer controls

From: Dan Mills <dmills@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 21:26:17 EET

On Monday 07 November 2005 13:37, Fred Gleason wrote:

> This seems to be one of the differences between regular
> 'pro-audio/recording' boards and those targeted for use in radio broadcast
> environments.

Most serious live sound consoles have half way decent mute automation, and
some get very sophisticated about it, see the Cadac J type or even the Yamaha
PM5-D for some decent examples.

> Similarly, it seems that virtually no 'recording' style board
> sports a cue buss, while the very thought of trying to run a radio
> operation without such a buss is enough to induce anxiety in this old
> 'master control' operator.

This might be a specific leftpondia thing, how does the semantics of a 'cue'
bus differ from a 'pfl' bus as found on a live sound console?

> These are all special features for the
> broadcasting folks -- available, but unfortunately you usually end up
> paying a premium for them.

Actually, I tend to feel that the broadcast specific stuff is more on the
lines of removing most of the routing flexibility and eq, and adding some
fader start logic (possibly tied into the mute automation)...

And yes, you do pay a heavy 'small market' premium!

Regards, Dan.