[linux-audio-dev] Re: Mixer controls

From: <seablade@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 06:48:21 EET

Apologies for coming in late, but I havent had much time lately;)

The main difference I have noticed between broadcast boards and live mix
boards is really the lack of output routing in the broadcast board. There
is some, but believe me, live mix boards you get a LOT more for the same
size board;)

VCA style mixing tends to be with live mix consoles, while VCAs themselves I
dont think are limited to just them. Mute Groups however are DEFINITLY
things you find on upper range Live show consoles, I say upper range to
denote that range above Mackie's and lower end soundcrafts or A&H and
similar boards. Those same upper range consoles are where you will find the
Matrixes and VCA groups that are SO useful in their applications. You can
also find some automation capabilities depending on the board as well,
digital boards usually but also mute automation on analog.

Also I cant remember if the broadcast board I have worked with had an
onboard EQ or not, I would almost lean towards no but I cant remember to be
honest, it has been a while and I didnt work with it much(A couple of months
and that was about it, off and on).

And whoever said Mute Groups were a requirement in Larger Live theater shows
REALLY wasnt far off. I can get away with matrixes and properly set up
groups usually though(32-40 Channel Boards, 20 wireless Mics and a variety
of area, sweet spot, etc as well)

     Seablade