Re: [linux-audio-dev] xruns

From: conrad berhörster <conrad.berhoerster@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 15:30:25 EET

Hallo Paul,

Am Mittwoch 23 November 2005 14:54 schrieb Paul Davis:

> where do the effects you are using come from? also, 60% CPU is actually
> not far from the threshold where xruns start to become predictable. the
> best measure of how hard your system is working comes from the JACK "DSP
> load" displayed in qjackctl's status window. From our tests on OS X and
> Linux, once you get to about 80% DSP load, xruns are just around the
> corner, because of the variance in response time within a general
> purpose OS (even one with the kinds of RT performance that modern linux
> and OS X have). so what kind of DSP load do you see?

ok, here is my update. i installed qjackctl. i tried to use the system without
qjackctl, because i wanted to implement remote via ssh. is there a
possibility to get the CPU time and further info just with the standard tools
jack_lsp etc. haven't found that. so far i got my CPU info for the command
tool top. With jackctl the CPU with
jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2
is around 95 % , thats bad, he!
i started playing around with the Framesize up to 4096 , but this doesn't have
any effect. than i started varify the SampleRate down to 22050. with that i
got a CPU around 55% command was
jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r22050 -p1024 -n2
Also, i got tons of xRUNs.
today, i try to install the new RT patches as Lee recommended.

and for terminology fixing. is there any difference between the CPU/Processor
and the DSP in an standard box (not special boards)

sizu c~