Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack_callback <-> rest of the world

From: Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 13:12:49 EET

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 09:30:28 +0100
Stéphane Letz <letz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> jackd (of jackdmp in "synch" mode) where the server waits for all
> clients to finish in a given cycle require the used synchronization
> primitive to have a "wait with time-out" operation. Fifo can do that
> (using poll), Mach semaphore on OSX can do that, but POSIX named
> semaphore not.
>
> Do process shared mutexes/CVs have a "wait with time-out" operation.?

Well, there's

int pthread_cond_timedwait(pthread_cond_t *cond, pthread_mutex_t
      *mutex, const struct timespec *abstime);

(from man "pthread_cond_wait") which probably works with a condition
variable/mutex pair in shared memoryu, too.

But i don't know anything about any timing guarantees. I suppose POSIX
simply doesn't make any. Anyways, the precision of the timed wait is
probably implementation dependent.

Regards,
Flo

--