Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cross compiling the kernel

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 00:05:30 EET

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 15:42 -0600, Richard Smith wrote:
> > Why does GCC insist on running in "the 32 bit mode" even though I told> it ARCH is x86-64?>> Why doesn't this Just Work, is Ubuntu really such a piece of shit that> there's no easy way to do it?
> My experince with all the embedded processors I deal with is thatcross compiling almost never "just works". You might try gettingcrosstool and building a 64bit toolchain. That will take a hour or 2though. Unless you have a screaming machine.
> --Richard A. Smith

OK, brilliant. Apparently the only way to do this is to install the
"toolchain-source" package and, yep, BUILD A TOOLCHAIN FROM SOURCE.

http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/IA64wiki/CrossCompilation

Christ, I cannot believe what a pain in the ass this is. At this rate
it will have taken me 2 days to get this working.

Lee