Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cross compiling the kernel

From: Kai Ruemmler <kairuemmler@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 11:38:46 EET

* Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> > My experince with all the embedded processors I deal with is
> > thatcross compiling almost never "just works". You might try
> > gettingcrosstool and building a 64bit toolchain. That will take a
> > hour or 2though. Unless you have a screaming machine.

> OK, brilliant. Apparently the only way to do this is to install the
> "toolchain-source" package and, yep, BUILD A TOOLCHAIN FROM SOURCE.

Sorry for being slow, but it was sleeping time here in Germany. :-)

Just for the records (You took the thread to debian-amd64 further down
the road):

You don't need a full toolchain for compiling kernel stuff, binutils and
gcc are enough. The kernel doesn't link against glibc. :-)

You could install binutils and gcc into a temporary directory (let's say
/tmp/cross), put /tmp/cross/bin in front of $PATH and you are set.
This way you can just rm -rf /tmp/cross if you want to get rid of it
again.

I am not subscribed to debian-amd64 so I don't know if you were
successful already, but if you want I can send you my script I use for
this kind of tasks per PM.

> Christ, I cannot believe what a pain in the ass this is. At this rate
> it will have taken me 2 days to get this working.

I don't think so. Setting up a full toolchain may take a bit longer, but
for compiling kernels you really just need the easy part of it.

Kai