Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Replacement for my M-Audio Audiophile USB

From: Richard Smith <smithbone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 10 2005 - 23:45:49 EET

> Stanton turntable? STR8-130 or whatever they are called, the one with> the spdif out? If so, don't use the spdif out. Use the normal phono> out a standard preamp.
STR8-100. It has spdif, line and phono. I'm currently using the line.Very nice unit I can see why djers would like them.
> I'm assuming it would come with stanton needles> which, as somewhat of a generalisation, suck. If it's just for> recording get one of the cheaper eliptical ortofon needles. The om 5e> is nice and cheap.
Yep it has a stanton 505 on it. Thanks for the needle suggestion. I'm assuming I need a cartridge rather than a stylus? Guess I shouldcall the guy at the store and make sure I get what I need. Gmailgives me needledoctor.com as a sponsored link and they show an OM 5ecartridge for $45. Anyone have good or bad about needledoctor.com?
--Richard A. Smith