Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio/Midi system - RT prios..

From: Chris Cannam <chris.cannam@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 20:15:13 EET

Florian Schmidt writes:
> Here's example output with rosegarden producing a
> supposedly steady stream of 16th notes at 120 bpm:
> [...]

Those results certainly are pretty poor. We do have
a very similar test in the Rosegarden tree (the
complainer test) but it doesn't stress the system
quite the way it seems your program does.

I'll have to review the sequencer API and look at
adding a separate RT MIDI thread as an alternative
(which should be straightforward enough). The
rationale for using queued events is simple -- ALSA
provides the service, why duplicate it? -- but it's
probably true that we've already spent far more time
working around problems with it than we saved by not
duplicating it. (Does anyone else use queued
sequencer events in earnest?)

Chris