[linux-audio-dev] Interaction bug between zynaddsubfx and muse.

From: Bill Allen <bwanab+lad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 01 2006 - 18:13:45 EET

Hi. I'm writing to the list as opposed to the individual app owners
since I can't really tell where the bug is. I have a sequence in which I
want to use zynaddsubfx as the bass and another instance of zynaddsubfx
for synth strings. The problem that I see is when I add the base
instance to the bass track, muse then gray's out both instances (which
have the same name, so I assume that muse is going through the list
graying out any instance with the given name). I do notice in qjackctl's
connection screen that the two instances of zynaddsubfx midi out have
the same name although obviously they are on different ports. The
zynaddsubfx audio instances have different names. This could be a bug -
I'm not familiar enough with the jack naming conventions to definitively
state this though. However, when I do the same in rosegarden4, it works
fine. Rosegarden4 seems to key its list of softsynths with the name and
port number.

Thus, in conclusion it seems that zynaddsubfx might be at fault in that
multiple instances advertise themselves with the same midi out name. I
tested several other softsynths. It seems that ams, spiral modular synth
and hydrogen also share this characteristic. AmSynth appends a "serial
number" to new instances in the midi client list and I tested that muse
does indeed work fine with muliple instances of AmSynth.

Muse might be at fault because it uses only the midi out name instead of
looking also at the port number. Given the number of softsynths that
follow the convention of identifying themselves by non-unique names, I
think muse should probably add the port number to the identifier to tell
instances of the same softsynth apart.