[linux-audio-dev] VST compiled for linux / gui message loop

From: jorgen <support@email-addr-hidden-hq.com>
Date: Sat Jan 07 2006 - 12:58:49 EET

Hi, Im coding a VST host for windows and linux. The linux version will
support VSTs compiled on linux and not using wine or aything. Of course,
there is not alot of native linux VST plugins around but that will
change (I already made one :P )

There is one challange though, event dispatching in X11. Unlike windows,
X11 windows doesnt have an assotiated window proc for dispatching
events. I can overcome this in my own gui toolkit by passing a Display*
pointer to the plugin etc, but it wouldnt work with other gui toolkits.

So how do I make a soution that work with any toolkits on linux?

1) the plugin calls its own event loop in effEditIdle
2) make a new atom "wndproc" for storing wndproc function per window,
the host will send XEvents to the wndproc if found.

I prefer 1) but I dont know if toolkits supports manually calling the
event loop?

cheers
jorgen