Re: [linux-audio-dev] things to port to the gp2x ..

From: Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 16:01:28 EET

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 01:53:25PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:

> I agree about ARM assembly, I have written some (not DSP related) many
> years ago and it was quite straightforward.

Another ex Acorn user ???

> Does this ARM chip have real fixedpoint hardware, or do you have to do bit
> manipulations to get the numbers?

It doesn't have anything specific fixed point. It's all integer, and you,
as the programmer, have to imagine a binary point somewhere in your data
and keep track of it.

What helps enormously on the ARM is that all arithmetic instructions can
include a (no overhead) shift on one of the operands. There are some
other unique things, such as the 16 conditions on *all* instructions.

--
FA