Re: [linux-audio-dev] things to port to the gp2x ..

From: Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 16:20:16 EET

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 02:08:05PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:

> Damn, does it show ;)

You're not alone :-)

> > What helps enormously on the ARM is that all arithmetic instructions can
> > include a (no overhead) shift on one of the operands. There are some
> > other unique things, such as the 16 conditions on *all* instructions.
>
> I see, that is helpful. I imagine that coding things like IIR filters is
> still quite time consuming though. I would expect that you need to switch
> between different point positions a lot.

Sometimes, yes. But it doesn't really have to complicate your code.
What I've done in most cases is to base the design of the algorithm from
the start on what I knew was possible / cheap / to-be-avoided / etc. in
ARM assembly. That's possible only if you are in the position of being the
system engineer and the coder at the same time.

--
FA