[linux-audio-dev] Ubuntu vs. Debian [was: Problem compiling with liblo]

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 21:13:02 EET

Hallo,
Lee Revell hat gesagt: // Lee Revell wrote:

> > * Where did the Terminal go?
> >
> > - Not on the desktop context menu anymore. Install
> > nautilus-open-terminal if you want it.
> > Menu entry has moved to 'Applications ? Accessories'
> >
> > http://www.ubuntu.com/support/releasenotes510
>
> Meh, they're just cleaning up rarely used context menu items, they're
> not trying to deprecate the command line.

Yes, I know, I was just joking, I'm not even using Gnome.

I just found, that using Ubuntu for my style of work provides no
advantages at all. They put a lot of work into tight Desktop
integration and stuff while I just use a command line and don't need
all this. The software I use a lot is older in Ubuntu than in Debian
testing (Pd, blackbox, now liblo).

Basically I made my Ubuntu system behave like a Debian system in most
ways, which was a lot of work and isn't guaranteed to survive
upgrades.

When upgrading from Hoary to Breezy a lot of stuff broke and to fix
it, I actually had to run Gnome-tools I didn't start in months. E.g.
when I changed the default language from German to English,
Gnome-terminal didn't accepted and displayed umlauts anymore. I found
no way to have english messages but still be able to type ä. Then
gnome-terminal doesn't accept the "-ls" option anymore and tells me to
use some Properties Menu and create a "Profile" for it. I mean, I had
a "profile", which was a keyboard shortcut I configured for bbkeys to
run "gnome-terminal -ls". Why do they disable a command line option,
when it is working just fine? To force users to read manuals and open
Properties menus?

So I'm back to using rxvt again, just as on my main and plain Debian
box. There were several similar things happening when upgrading.
Nothing really bad, but I learned from this, that Ubuntu is not for
everyone and definitely not for me. I'm not saying it's a bad
distribution, it isn't. I'm just not in the target audience, I think.

End of rant. ;)

Ciao