Re: [linux-audio-dev] synthesis on gp2x .. (was Fwd: RE: [gpx-dev] hardware interfaces)

From: Jay Vaughan <jayv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 19:06:29 EET

>Then again, the DSP code usually accounts for just a fraction of the
>code of a full application.

.. unless you put such DSP code in certain 'key infrastructure'
components of the system ..

>And heavy duty, DSP centric applications
>(ie ones with lots of DSP code) probably won't be of much use without
>a GFLOPS class CPU anyway.
>I would think you can compile and run them on just about anything -
>but without proper FP support (that is, an extremely fast integer CPU
>+ FP emulation, or "anything" with a proper FPU), they won't run fast
>enough to do anything useful, unless all DSP code is translated to
>integer/fixed point.

its amazing though, how there are good quality examples of audio/DSP
code which don't require FP .. which do in fact use integer/fixed
point math .. and which function just fine in cheap hardware ..

>I can certainly understand why someone who isn't seriously interested
>in the odd few platforms with enough oomph but no FP, would lack the
>motivation to write and/or maintain code that is relevant only on
>these platforms.

oh, so can i, for sure.. i mean, if you've taken the easy path once,
no need to consider any other path twice .. except to bemoan the
existence of such other paths, of course ..

regardless, there certainly seems to be potential in the GP2X' lowly
cpu's for interesting audio hacking, and i certainly hope its
acceptable to the cognescenti to recognize this fact, FP or none ..

--
;
Jay Vaughan