Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA USB Driver

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 23:02:17 EET

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 14:49 -0600, Richard Smith wrote:
> Take a good look at the specs. I bought a M-Audio Audiophile USB and
> found out that it was not "class compliant" and then on top of that it
> was unable to do full-duplex audio at 24/96. I ended up buying a PCI
> card.

Actually, you don't even have look at the specs. M-audio uses really
sneaky tactics with their USB devices.

Look at the pictures of the Audiophile USB. See anything missing? Where
is the USB logo? They only use the "USB trident" which is used only to
identify the connector. They don't use the proper USB logo for which
they need to be class complient. If they would use the logo and fail
compliency, they would be subject to a flogging from USB-IF.

So in effect, their USB devices aren't USB devices at all. They just
happen to work with some USB hosts.

I got hit by this via their Quattro. Nice piece of kit, too bad it...
didn't work properly!

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>