Re: [linux-audio-dev] xt2 coming to linux

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 23:11:09 EET

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 20:43 +0100, Richard Spindler wrote:
> Writing against the native ALSA API is a pain, because it requires much
> more low level stuff, that I don't really care for. And on top of that it'd also
> require me to setup my own thread for the callback mechanism.

i thought this too until i actually tried to write a minimal OSS-
equivalent ALSA app. the number of calls vs. OSS is almost exactly the
same, the only difference is the length of the function names
(snd_pcm_read() vs. read()).

there are certain basic things that any app using a HAL has to control,
and the way ALSA and OSS do it doesn't change that very much at all.

--p