Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: No Subject

From: Immanuel Litzroth <immanuell@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 16:39:03 EET

"Arnold Krille" <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> Chiming in, altough i didn't want to...
>
> 2006/2/22, Immanuel Litzroth <immanuell@email-addr-hidden>:
>> "Jan Depner" <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>> > I just can't resist this. Please send me a copy of your latest
>> > song, novel, whatever. I'll post it on the internet with my name as
>> > author then we'll come back to this discussion of why Lee and I think
>> > that copyright infringement is stealing. Is this really that difficult
>> > to understand???
>> That is plagiarism (maybe) mixed with copyright violation. And I'll send you
>> my latest novel "Why I am a blathering Idiot" this week. Feel free.
>> Immanuel
>
> If he publishes your novel under his name its _not_ plagiarism, its a
> copyright-violation and theft.
> Plagiarism would for example be if he writes his own novel which is
> the same as yours but with other names for people, places, etc.

You seem to be alone in this opinion. Good luck.
Immanuel

    * the act of appropriating the literary composition of another author, or excerpts, ideas, or passages therefrom, and passing the material off as one's own creation.
      ucblibraries.colorado.edu/about/glossary.htm

    * The false presentation of someone else's writing as one's own. In the case of copyrighted work, plagiarism is illegal.
      www.brochure-design.com/brochure-design-publishing-terms.html

    * Copying someone else's work and then passing it off as one's own.
      www.morehead-st.edu/units/library/technology/glossary.html

    * Taking, using, and passing off as your own, the ideas or words or work of another.
      www.web-ezy.com/cit/main/webzglos.htm

    * The willful act of presenting another person's work as one's own.
      www.athabascau.ca/handbook/glossary.htm

    * is using another person's ideas or creative work without giving credit to that person. It includes:
      www.cgcc.cc.or.us/Library/lib-instruction/define-terms.htm

    * To plagiarize is to take and use another person's thoughts, writings or inventions as one's own, without acknowledging or giving the source of the ideas and expressions.
      www.umanitoba.ca/student/handbook/sayp.html

    * Plagiarism is presenting someone else’s work as if it were your own, whether you mean to or not. ‘Someone else’s work’ means anything that is not your own idea, even if it is presented in your own style. It includes material from books, journals or any other printed source, the work of other students or staff, information from the Internet, software programs and other electronic material, designs and ideas. It also includes the organization or structuring of any such material. ...
      www.vuw.ac.nz/home/glossary/

    * Plagiarism usually uses a slightly varied brand name. The products hidden behind these names do sometimes not even exist in the assortment of the OEM.
      www.secutag.com/glossary.htm

    * The submission by a student of the words, ideas, images, or data of another person as the student's own in any academic writing, essay, thesis, research project, or assignment in a course or program of study.
      www.registrar.ualberta.ca/calendar/Glossary/Information/255.html

    * A form of cheating by means of the unacknowledged, literal reproduction of ideas and material of other persons in the guise of new and original work. See Policy on Academic Integrity.
      web.uvic.ca/calendar2005/CAL/TUintC.html

    * is the passing off as your own, the work of others'. Original sources are not given credit.
      fixedreference.org/en/20040424/wikipedia/Information_science_glossary_of_terms

    * Presenting the words or ideas of someone else as your own without proper acknowledgement of the source.
      www.sunysb.edu/library/tutorial/glossary/

    * A form of cheating in which the work of someone else is offered as one’s own. The language or ideas thus taken from another may range from isolated formulae, sentences, or paragraphs, to entire articles copied from printed sources, speeches, software, or the work of other students.
      www.ipfw.edu/academics/regulations/definitions.shtml

    * The theft of ideas or of written passages or works, where these are passed off as one’s own work without acknowledgement of their true origin.
      www.bolton.ac.uk/learning/bissto/glossary/

    * Taking information from another source and passing it off as your own. This may be done by not giving credit for a quote or a passage of information or by deliberately copying a written work or downloading a paper from the Internet.
      www.wcu.edu/library/researchref/Glossary.htm

    * Failure to give the source of a quotation or paraphrase in which the language, thoughts, or ideas of another person are used as one's own. (Unit 8> Giving Credit Where Credit is Due)
      www.usg.edu/galileo/skills/ollc_glossary.html

    * An academic malpractice. Plagiarism is the use of the ideas, words or findings of others without acknowledging them as such. To plagiarise is to give the impression that the student has written, thought or discovered something that he or she has in fact borrowed from someone else without acknowledging this in an appropriate manner.
      www.keele.ac.uk/depts/aa/regulationshandbook/sectiond.htm

    * To appropriate the writings, graphic representations or ideas of another person and represent them as one's own, (that is, without proper attribution). Plagiarism is a form of intellectual property violation.
      www.unmc.edu/ethics/words.html

    * Copying another person's work - claiming it as yours - without written acknowledgment to the original writer. Plagiarism is cause for dismissal in most universities. This page discusses UMD's policies.
      www.d.umn.edu/lib/reference/skills/vocab.html

    * Using the ideas or words of others without acknowledging the source. This is true even if the ideas of someone else are paraphrased or summarized. In scholarly research, plagiarism is considered unethical and dishonest.
      www.pddoc.com/copyright/glossary.htm

    * Taking ideas or content from an author and portraying those ideas or content as your own.
      www.library.wwu.edu/ref/howtoguides/glossary.html

    * Passing off someone else's work as your own. You must follow certain guidelines to properly acknowledge the use of other people's ideas in your work. The guidelines vary by academic discipline and by institution, and you should ask your instructor if you have any questions about the proper citation of sources. This is considered a serious offense at every institution, and can result in permanent expulsion from the class, and in some cases from the college. Cite your sources properly!
      www.netnet.org/students/student%20glossary.htm

    * You must cite all sources used in a particular work. If you do not acknowledge these sources, then you are plagiarising their work. Plagiarism is defined as the taking, using, and passing off as your own, the ideas or words of another. It is a very serious academic offence, and may result in your work being failed automatically.
      www.rmit.edu.au/browse/Our%20Organisation%2FRMIT%20University%20Library%2FInfo-trek%2FJargon%20Explorer/

    * Plagiarism is the use of someone else’s work without giving that person the proper credit or no attribution at all (-Y΄Important Terms‘).
      www.uah.edu/library/turnitin/studentterm.htm

    * a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work
    * the act of plagiarizing; taking someone's words or ideas as if they were your own
      wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

    * Plagiarism refers to the use of another's ideas, information, language, or writing, when done without proper acknowledgment of the original source. Essential to an act of plagiarism is an element of dishonesty in attempting to pass off the plagiarised work as original. Plagiarism is not necessarily the same as copyright infringement, which occurs when one violates copyright law. ...
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism