Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Which widgets?

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 14:00:19 EET

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 12:39 +0100, Carlo Capocasa wrote:
> Personally, I'd love to see more GTK2 apps around.
>
> I think it's the oldest *full featured* toolkit around and I think even
> the bloat is bearable (just keep your hands off anything that says 'Gnome')

/me starts a flamewar

Even the packages which say gnome-vfs? So you _want_ the applications to
be incapable of loading & saving files over smb shares, ftp shares,
webdav or ssh shares? How about future proof sharing models? VFS handles
that too. Oh, and how about printing?

Like it's been said before. Installing kde or gnome libraries, doesn't
force you to use either desktop environment. The libraries do take some
disk space, but I personally think the benefits derived from using the
libraries outweigh the disk space taken.

I'm a programmer = I'm lazy = I don't want to write printing dialogs, or
VFS support, especially since it's already provided by gnome.

Bottom line, as I see it is: look at what features gnome / kde offers
you. If they offer something you need (like VFS or printing) you SHOULD
use them. Your own printing dialogs or VFS support will be inferior to
what the gnome / kde teams come up with. Why? It's their job. An audio
software programmer's job is to make the AUDIO part work really well,
not use their time reimplementing the wheel.

(Having said this, Ardour will probably never have gnome dependencies
because afaik at the moment gnome doesn't offer us anything we need).

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>