Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Which widgets?

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 16:56:18 EET

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 13:15 +0100, Carlo Capocasa wrote:
> Heh, I'm only a novice programmer, and I'm already lazy :)

Ah, the sign of a good programmer. :)

> KDE and Gnome both appear greedy to me. They both want me to use their
> system and hence, tell me how to use my computer. Very little care is
> taken to make sure individual parts can be used without installing the
> whole whack. It's like I want to marry the girl I love but I can't
> without also marrying her cousin, her sister and her aunt. This is the
> Win/Mac philosophy, not the UNIX philosophy, and especially not the free
> software philosophy.

It's true that with KDE you are marrying into KDE's family with bastard
cousins like ksycoca, kdeinit, klauncher etc. But this isn't true with
gnome.

> That is why I recommend XFCE which does exactly that.

Does xfce provide nice printing tools? How about VFS?

These two are the things I would _never_ want to implement: Extending a
file selector to provide support for remote protocols and filling
landfills/recycling plants with print dialog tests. argh. Of course,
it's a matter of whether you really need the sorts of widgets etc. that
these packages provide.

I'd rather give the users tried, tested & proved concepts which are well
supported and developed onwards by people who really want to develop the
sort of software it is. This would leave me to concentrate my efforts on
what the application is really supposed to do.

Of course, we are free to do whatever we want. I just don't see real
downsides to gnome integration.

I love the UNIX philosophy, but it doesn't mean zero integration.
Free software philosophy doesn't have anything against integration
either; How would it be "free" if you couldn't use the (free) libraries
you want? ;)

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>