Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: GPL Audio Hardware

From: carmen <ix@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 04 2006 - 23:08:09 EEST

> the vendor deciding no longer to make ALSA drivers next week because 96% of their users run MacOSX or WinXP..

this is a distortion. i'm not aware of any vendor actively supporting linux at all, so open audio hardware would definitely be welcomed..

i mean in Echo's case, they gave some generic non-OS-specific driver code to some Italian dude who ran with it, and eventually got it working nice enough to be rolled into alsa-driver, for firewire it just happened that most vendors were using the same chip, and even then afaik it still required using a patched JACK and bypassed ALSA entirely? and the vendors have moved onto other chips by now? and no idea what is the story behind RME..but i vaguely remember them pulling the rug out from whatever official support..

so yes, i think its a great idea. but we need to get audio first. then we can worry about accelerated DSP..thats the icing on the cake really..